Please note the CD is temporarily Out of Stock.
However you can still download the album digitally.
TALES OF LOVE AND LOSS + RISE UP!
From the depths of despair can come the greatest of triumphs.
Released in 2011, Tales of Love and Loss/Rise Up is the band’s ninth album and took exactly a full year to make.
Tragedy For The BordererS Inspires New Hope And Music.
Alex and Jim Paterson (The BordererS) are sharing first-hand the trauma and courage of moving forward after the suicide of a child. The couple’s son, Rowan, took his own life in January 2010 and they have set about recovering the only way they know how – through music.
The result is The BordererS’ first album in four years – a double disc album with the celebratory ‘Rise Up’ and the more ballad based and reflective ‘Tales of Love and Loss’. The couple’s hope is that the album and its promotion will spread the message that there is help available for those of us plagued with dark thoughts. Jim said that mental illness and suicide touches so many people, yet there is still a taboo about discussing it.
“When we lost Rowan it was about as low as we could get, but even if we felt like packing it all in, we still have our daughter Asia, and we owed it to her to show that no matter what happens there is still life and hope for the future.”
To commemorate and celebrate Rowan’s life the band released the album on 19 November 2011 – International Suicide Awareness Day – at Norwood Live in Adelaide in a bid to highlight the issue and get more people talking about it.
“It’s really simple, but if people feel they can speak about their low feelings with others, then the power of those feelings is lessened and it can lead to recovery,” said Jim.
“The launch will be a celebratory event dedicated to the lives of those lost, the family and friends left behind, and the power of the human spirit to recover and move on.”
TALES OF LOVE & LOSS – SONGS
1) YOU’RE MY WORLD (Umberto Bindi / Gino Paoli ) – I think we first performed this at a wedding and it got an amazing reaction! We hope you like this performance as all the vocals were recorded in one take. Thank you Gabi for providing the 3rd harmony and support to Alex in the studio.
2) LOVE THEM WHILE YOU CAN ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – You just never know when you’ll last see your nearest and dearest. Let them know that you love them as often as you can.
3) LIGHT ON A HILL ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – The actual song title came from a quote by a famous Australian politician, but Alex loved the imagery and it helped her convey her feelings about Rowan.
4) JESUS BY MY SIDE ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – The beat of the song was inspired after we performed a medley of Peter, Paul & Mary songs at the Illawarra folk festival. We realized that our audiences loved this sort of laid back swing feel first heard on “Down by the Riverside” and “Michael rowed the boat ashore”. We tried to emulate those songs.
5) CHANGING FORTUNES ( Glyn Lehmann ) – You may have heard this song before on the BordererS “Woman” CD, but we hope you enjoy this remixed version. We loved the lyrics and chord changes that the writer Glyn Lehmann used.
6) ROWAN’S THEME ( J. Paterson ) – We recorded this instrumental with Martin Kubitski at “5AD” studios in 1994 or 1995. It’s never seen the light of day until now. Alex & I discovered it on an old DAT tape and loved the melancholy feel of it. Paul White then added some extra string arrangements.
7) ONE IN A MILLION ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – This version of the song was recorded in 1997 or ’98 by Tony Nesci but never made it onto a CD. We decided to add some extra bass and drums and update it as the lyrics certainly say it all.
8) MY FATHER’S LOVE ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – We were inspired to write this when Alex’s father ( Trevor ) turned 70, but we’ve found that fathers around the world also seem to resonate with the lyrics. Louise Morrisey from Ireland has also released a version of this song on her latest CD.
9) THE MEANING OF LIFE ( J. Paterson / D. Alexander ) – This version was recorded in 2006 for “A Time For Change” but wasn’t considered suitable for that album. The lyrics now seem to have much more meaning. “Food, Shelter, Love & Family” What else do we need?
10) DANNY BOY ( Traditional ) – We recorded this live in the living room for “A Time For Change” CD, but again it didn’t fit on that record. It’s such a moving song that we had to include it here.
The BordererS are one of the most addictive and charismatic bands to hit the music scene in this century. They can whisk you away with sentimental and touching lyrics in a heartbeat. They can lift your spirits and have you dancing to explosive and energetic tunes at will.
The BordererS have honed their skills showing us just what a Celtic Folk Roots Band should be. Their latest, “Tales Of Love & Loss + Rise Up”, is a magnificent double album released in 2011, which show both sides to The BordererS. make no mistake, The BordererS have raised the bar in both live shows and on this double album. I have looked far and wide and have never seen or heard such magic.
Jim Paterson and Alex have an unmistakable vocal style that is sheer gold. Alex, lead singer for The BordererS, reaches in and touches the heart of every listener with style, grace and incredible vocals. Don’t assume this beauty can’t rock your world Celtic style Ladies & Gentlemen, indeed Alex can do it all. Jim Paterson’s strong vocals also shine in this duo from heaven. His vocal style is sexy and highly addictive. The Scottish born Jim Paterson and Alex who hails from Northern Ireland met in Australia in 1994. Together, they have taken The BordererS on an adventure through music, winning awards as well as the hearts of all who hear them.
This latest album, “Tales of Love & Loss + Rise Up!” take you on an emotional journey. The album is dedicated to Jim and Alex’s son Rowan, who took his own life in Jan 2010, at the tender age of 18. “Tales Of Love & Loss”, reminds us how fragile life is, but also that we are never alone.
Each song is exceptionally written and actually paints a picture in our hearts as you hear them. The songwriting skills shown are simply astounding. This is the mark of a professional songwriter. Truly exceptional work. Such a beautiful touch adding the tracks “You’re My World” & “Danny Boy”, all time favorites. A very generous 10 tracks of pure joy.
The second album is called “Rise Up!” and boasts 10 tracks. This album will up lift your spirits and have you singing along in a New York Minute. It is mesmerizing and defy’s any listener not to tap your foot and sing along. “Rise Up” put a smile on my face that lasted for hours. It has a touch of popular Celtic and Australian favourites married with beautifully written and performed new songs.
The BordererS have spared no expense or time, to make this double album the best it can be. The instrumentation on this entire album is spectacular, showing the expertise and experience of The BordererS Band. And I would be remiss not to point out the level of superior quality on Production, Mixing, Mastering and Recording accomplished on this album. It certainly is the yardstick all Muso’s should strive for. Brilliant.
The three tracks I have singled out from “Tales Of Love & Loss” are:
1 – Love Them While You Can
This song written by Jim Paterson and D. Alexander, has captured an important message wrapped up in sumptuous instrumentation. Alex does the lyrics justice with her strong vocals. Beautiful harmonies showcase this song. This is an absolutely magnificent song.
2 – Light On A Hill
This song was written for Rowan, Alex & Jim’s son, no longer with us. It is an exceptionally well written song that will touch you deeply. Magnificent instrumentation shines throughout the entire song. Alex’s vocals will take your breath away. Indeed, a beautiful song that will stand the test of time.
3 – One In A Million
This uplifting and upbeat song celebrates their son. The lyrics are stunning and will have all mothers relating to their own thoughts of their sons. Alex’s vocals are perfection as is the instrumentation. I loved the clapping throughout. Brilliant.
Tracks I have singled out from “Rise Up!” are:
1 – Rise Up!
This song has a real blues groove happening. It will captivate your interest immediately. The lyrics has a positive message delivered in the most exceptional way. Jim Paterson nails the vocals with his uber sexeh voice. Alex puts her sultry vocal to work as well, giving this song a groove you will be swept up in. The instrumentation is sublime. Brill !
2 – Temptation
Lordy! The BordererS will have you up on your feet giving that dance floor a go with this song! Jim Paterson & Alex show their wild side and brilliant vocals! They involve their audience and will have you the listener, chair dancing as well. Love the lyrics and the line “I can’t do it without you”. This is a band who never forgets their fans. The instrumentation is stupendous!!
3 – I’m A Work In Progress
This is another excellent example of the sheer talent of The BordererS. The lyrics are stellar and solid. The instrumentation will take you away to another land where you will dance yourself into a positive frame of mind. The magnificent vocals of Alex & Jim Paterson exceed all your expectations. Simply wonderful.
Honorable mention has to go to:
**Ye Canny Shove Yer Granny Aff The Bus.**
This song will make you laugh out loud! It brings back such good memories for me. It is a happy sing along song that makes your feet take a life of their own! The instrumentation is absolutely phenomenal, not to mention the level of expertise in vocals by Alex & Jim Paterson. Thank you for adding this song !!
After both CD’s have played through, I sit here reflecting in the afterglow. Though I did not see The BordererS perform “Tales of Love & Loss + Rise Up!” , I feel I have been privy to something very momentous. The BordererS touch personally, every single person who hears this album, bringing to light their own experiences. This album will make you laugh, weep, dance, think and above all else, leave you with a positive experience. This is an outstanding effort from The BordererS. I highly recommend “Tales Of Love & Loss + Rise Up!”